DemoScienceInvestigatoryProjectComplete

Topics: Pesticide, Chemistry, Pesticides Pages: 7 (1181 words) Published: November 12, 2014


Organic Pesticide from Atis (Anona squamosa) Leaves Extract
as an Alternative to Commercial Synthetic Pesticide

Arabit, Ronilyn R.
Balicat, Hannah Marie
De Leon, Ma. Alyzza

Muntinlupa National High School

Abstract

Atis is a plant abundant in the Philippines. All parts of atis tree have medicinal properties, such as poultice and enema to children with dyspepsia, abortifacient, cataplasm to induce suppuration, astringent and possess vermicidal properties. Because of these attributes, the researchers aimed to produce an organic pesticide from the extract of Atis leaves ( Anona Squamosa ).

The pesticide was derived from the extraction of the 750 grams of Atis leaves. The following experimental set-ups had been made: 30% Atis leaves extract and 70% distilled water (15 ml atis leaves extract and 35 ml distilled water.); 50% Atis leaves extract and 50% distilled water (25 ml atis leaves extract and 25 ml distilled water.); 70% Atis leaves extract and 30% distilled water (35 ml atis leaves extract and 15 ml distilled water.); and 100% Atis leaves extract (50 ml pure atis leaves extract). Using the different concentrations, the effectiveness was tested to some pests such as ticks, termites, and hairy caterpillars in terms of mortality rate. T- test showed that there was no significant difference between the experimental product and the commercial product in terms of the pest’s mortality rate, at 0.05 level of significance. The results of experimentation and data analysis showed that the experimental product is just as effective as the commercial pesticide in eradicating pests. Thus, the organic pesticide from Anona squamosa leaves extract could be an alternative to commercial synthetic pesticide.

Acknowledgement

The researchers would like to thank with all their hearts the people behind their project who helped them to be successful in their undertakings.
Special thanks to Muntinlupa National High School Principal IV, Dr. Estrella C. Aseron who gave them opportunity to conduct a research project. Science and Technology Faculty headed by Mr. Dean Hermoso who gave them advices and helped them improving their project. DOST assigned laboratory technician, Mr. George Gatdula, who assisted the in using the MNHS- DOST Laboratory.

The researchers will not forget the biggest effort and support of their research adviser, Mrs. Ma. Regaele Olarte, who have always been there to answer and counsel them in finishing their research project, MNHS Chemistry Teacher IV , Mrs. Marissa Factor and MNHS Chemistry Teacher III, Mrs. Anilet Cariaga who gave suggestions and guidance to advance their project. Most especially, the researchers give gratitude to the parents who encouraged and supported their children in their research project.

Finally, the researchers would also like to give back the glory to the Almighty God who gave them more than enough patience, knowledge, wisdom and physical strength in fulfilling this research project.

TABLE OF CONTENTS

Title Page1
Abstract2
Acknowledgement 3
Table of Contents4

Chapter I – Introduction

A. Background of the Study5
B. Objectives6
C. Hypothesis7
D. Significance of the Study7
E. Scope and Limitations8
F. Conceptual Framework9
G. Review of Literature9

Chapter II – Methodology

A. Materials and Instrumentation14
B. Methods15

Chapter III – Results20

Chapter IV – Discussion25

Chapter V – Conclusions and Recommendation26

References/ Bibliographies27

Appendices28

Chapter I
INTRODUCTION

A. Background of the Study
A pest is any organism which is damaging to humans or human concerns. This is frequently because it causes ruin to agriculture through feeding on crops or parasitizing livestock, such as codling moth on...
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free