NU 545 Unit 2 Study Guide
1. Review the anatomy of the brain. Which portion is responsible for keeping you awake, controlling thought, speech, emotions and behavior, maintaining balance and posture? 2. Know the function of the arachnoid villi.
3. Where is the primary defect in Parkinsons disease and Huntingtons? 4. What is the function of the CSF? Where is it produced? Where is it absorbed? 5. Review blood flow to the brain.
6. What is the gate control theory of pain?
7. Know the type of nerve fibers that transmit pain impulses. 8. Where in the CNS does pain perception occur?
9. Know different clinical descriptions of pain; pain threshold/tolerance 10. Know endogenous opioids.
11. What are the two types of fibers that transmit the nerve action potentials generated by excitation of any of the nociceptors. 12. What is the relationship between epinephrine and body temperature? 13. Know mechanisms of heat production and heat loss.
14. Know heat exhaustion and heat stroke?
15. Define the different stages of sleep.
16. Discuss disorders of the conjunctivia of the eye.
17. Which part of the eye controls movement of the eye?
18. What part of the brain must be functioning for cognitive operations? 19. Discuss the types of mid-brain dysfunction and its physical symptoms. 20. Know the best prognostic indicator of recovery of consciousness and functional outcome after a brain event. 21. Know vomiting with which CNS injuries.
22. Define seizure and status epilepticus. What is the medical significance? Know benign febrile seizures. 23. Know the characteristics of closed head injury.
24. Define dyskinesia. Types? Characteristics?
25. Know the stages of intracranial hypertension.
26. Know normal intracranial pressure. How does body compensate for increased ICP? 27. Know the most critical index of nervous system dysfunction/function. 28. What is responsible for the tremors associated with Parkinsons Disease? 29. Define concussion. Know the different...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document